Species: Carcharhinus obscurus, Dusky shark
Carcharhinus obscurus (Lesueur, 1818)
Body moderately slender to moderately stout; snout moderately short (</= mouth width), broad, rounded; eyes round, large; nasal flaps rudimentary; upper front teeth broadly triangular, low, straight at front to a little oblique at sides, serrated, not notched; lower front teeth with low, narrow, finely serrated points; first dorsal fin relatively low (height 6-9.1% of TL), front edge broadly arched, tip pointed to narrowly rounded, origin over/slightly before pectoral free rear tip; origin of second dorsal above anal fin origin, with long base and long free rear tip, fin low, usually < 2.3% (1.5-2.3%) TL; pectoral long, strongly curved rear border, pointed tip; a marked crest between dorsal fins; tail base without keel; tail fin strongly asymmetrical, with well developed lower lobe, undulating ridge along dorsal surface of top lobe, and a notch under tip of that lobe.
Grey, shading to white ventrally, with a faint, near-horizontal, grey band invading the white of upper abdomen; tips of fins dusky.
Size: reaches 365 cm; size at birth 69-100 cm.
Habitat: Inshore to offshore coastal- pelagic, primarily on continental shelves, not in low salinity habitats.
Depth: 0-400 m.
Circumglobal in tropical and warm temperate seas; from California to central Mexico.
Note: Very similar in appearance and easily confused with C. galapagensis; best means of separation is the sloping first dorsal & lower 2nd dorsal fin (1.5 -2.3% of TL) in C. obscurus vs a more erect first dorsal and higher (2.1-3.3% of TL) second dorsal in C. galapagensis.
High Resolution Map Download
- Inshore Only
- Water Column Position
- Mid Water
- Near Bottom
- Near Surface
- Water column only
- Water column
- FishBase Habitat
- Feeding Group
- Bony fishes
- Mobile benthic gastropods/bivalves
- Mobile benthic crustacea (shrimps/crabs)
- Egg Type
- Live birth
- No data
- No pelagic larva
- Global Endemism
- East Pacific + all Atlantic (East+West)
- All species
- TEP non-endemic
- "Transpacific" (East + Central &/or West Pacific)
- Circumtropical ( Indian + Pacific + Atlantic Oceans)
- East Pacific + Atlantic (East +/or West)
- West + East Pacific (but not Central)
- Transisthmian (East Pacific + Atlantic of Central America)
- Regional Endemism
- Tropical Eastern Pacific (TEP) non-endemic
- Eastern Pacific non-endemic
- Continent + Island (s)
- Island (s)
- All species
- Climate Zone
- Northern Tropical (Mexican Province to Nicaragua + Revillagigedos)
- North Temperate (Californian Province &/or Northern Gulf of California)
- Northern Subtropical (Cortez Province + Sinaloan Gap)
- IUCN Red List
- Appendix II
- Length Max
- Depth Range Min
- Depth Range Max