Species: Cynoponticus coniceps, Cone-head pike-conger, Conehead eel, Red pike-conger
Cynoponticus coniceps (Jordan & Gilbert, 1882)
Conehead eel, Cone-head pike-conger, Red pike-conger
Heavy bodied; head conical; tail ~ 60% of TL; large, skin-covered eyes; front nostril tubular; rear nostril an elliptical hole before mid-eye; large teeth and strong jaws; teeth in multiple rows on jaws, 3 rows on roof of mouth with central row of ~15 much enlarged, triangular; large teeth at front of lower jaw fit into a notch on underside of snout; gill openings large, crescentic, low on side, nearly meet below; well developed pectorals centered on the upper edge of the gill openings; well developed dorsal and anal fins confluent with tail fin, the dorsal origin over or just before the gill opening; conspicuous lateral line runs the length of the body, opens through systems of multiple pores; no pores apparent on head.
Olive brown to greyish above and whitish below; dorsal and anal fins pale grey to brownish with dark margin.
Size: reaches 202 cm.
Habitat: sandy and muddy bottoms.
Depth: 10-100 m.
The Gulf of California to northern Peru.
High Resolution Map Download
- Marine Only
- Inshore Only
- Water Column Position
- Bottom only
- Sand & gravel
- Soft bottom (mud/sand/gravel/beach/estuary/mangrove/seagrass)
- Soft bottom only
- FishBase Habitat
- Feeding Group
- Mobile benthic crustacea (shrimps/crabs)
- Bony fishes
- Mobile benthic gastropods/bivalves
- Egg Type
- No data
- Pelagic larva
- Global Endemism
- All species
- Tropical Eastern Pacific (TEP) endemic
- East Pacific endemic
- Regional Endemism
- Continental TEP endemic
- Continent only
- TEP endemic
- 3 provinces (Cortez + Mexican + Panamic) endemic
- All species
- Climate Zone
- Northern Tropical (Mexican Province to Nicaragua + Revillagigedos)
- Northern Subtropical (Cortez Province + Sinaloan Gap)
- North Temperate (Californian Province &/or Northern Gulf of California)
- Equatorial (Costa Rica to Ecuador + Galapagos, Clipperton, Cocos, Malpelo)
- IUCN Red List
- Data deficient
- Not listed
- Length Max
- Depth Range Min
- Depth Range Max