Species: Cyclichthys spilostylus, Spotbase burrfish, Yellow-spotted burrfish
Cyclichthys spilostylus (Leis & Randall, 1982)
Yellow-spotted burrfish, Spotbase burrfish
Body relatively slendert, inflatable; head wide and blunt; eyes large; nasal organ a short tube with 2 openings; teeth fused into a strong, parrot-like beak that lacks a front groove, large, opens widely at front; gill opening a vertical slit before pectoral base; pectorals large; fins without spines; no pelvic fins; dorsal fin high and round, 12-13 rays; anal 10-12 rays; pectoral angular, 20-22 rays; tail fin with 9 rays; body and head covered with numerous short (< eye), fixed, 3-4 rooted spines that are triangular and flattened in cross-section, and, in some cases reduced to plates under skin, no spines on tail base; ~ 15 spines between snout and dorsal fin; pelagic juveniles with fleshy tentacle at base of each spine.
Dark brown to grey-brown above, shading to white below; base of each spine on back in white spot, on sides in a yellow spot, on belly in a black spot, spots ~ pupil size; spines yellow; fins dusky, without spots; pelagic juveniles- eye-size black spots scattered over body.
Size 41 cm.
Habitat: reefs, algal beds, sand; possibly nocturnal.
Depth 5-90 m.
Indo-Pacific; vagrant in the Galapagos.
High Resolution Map Download
- Marine Only
- Inshore Only
- Water Column Position
- Bottom only
- Reef associated (reef + edges-water column & soft bottom)
- Sand & gravel
- Reef (rock/coral/oyster)
- Soft bottom (mud/sand/gravel/beach/estuary/mangrove/seagrass)
- Reef and soft bottom
- FishBase Habitat
- Reef Associated
- Feeding Group
- Mobile benthic gastropods/bivalves
- Mobile benthic crustacea (shrimps/crabs)
- Egg Type
- Pelagic larva
- No data
- Global Endemism
- West + East Pacific (but not Central)
- "Transpacific" (East + Central &/or West Pacific)
- TEP non-endemic
- All species
- Indo-Pacific only (Indian + Pacific Oceans)
- Regional Endemism
- Island (s) only
- Tropical Eastern Pacific (TEP) non-endemic
- All species
- Eastern Pacific non-endemic
- Island (s)
- Climate Zone
- Equatorial (Costa Rica to Ecuador + Galapagos, Clipperton, Cocos, Malpelo)
- IUCN Red List
- Not evaluated / Listed
- Not listed
- Length Max
- Depth Range Min
- Depth Range Max