Species: Acanthocybium solandri, the Wahoo
Acanthocybium solandri (Cuvier in Cuvier & Valenciennes, 1832)
Body very elongate, fusiform, a little compressed; snout long (50% head length), pointed; rear of top jaw bone hidden; teeth strong, compressed, triangular; no gill rakers; 1st dorsal fin with long base, XXIII-XXVII spines; 2nd dorsal 12-16, with 8-9 finlets behind; anal fin 12-14 + 9 finlets behind; 1 large + 2 small keels on tail base; tail fin deeply forked; 1 complete lateral line; corselet of scales indistinct.
Iridescent bluish green on back; sides silvery with 24-30 irregular grey bars, some doubled or "Y"-shaped.
Size: reaches 250 cm; all- tackle world record 83.5 Kg.
Inhabits oceanic waters, generally well offshore.
Depth: 0-15 m.
All tropical seas; northern Baja to the mouth of the Gulf of California to northern Peru and all the oceanic islands.
High Resolution Map Download
- Marine Only
- In & Offshore
- Water Column Position
- Water column only
- Near Surface
- Mid Water
- Water column
- FishBase Habitat
- Feeding Group
- Bony fishes
- Egg Type
- Pelagic larva
- No data
- Global Endemism
- "Transpacific" (East + Central &/or West Pacific)
- All Pacific (West + Central + East)
- East Pacific + Atlantic (East +/or West)
- TEP non-endemic
- All species
- Circumtropical ( Indian + Pacific + Atlantic Oceans)
- East Pacific + all Atlantic (East+West)
- Transisthmian (East Pacific + Atlantic of Central America)
- Regional Endemism
- Continent + Island (s)
- All species
- Island (s)
- Eastern Pacific non-endemic
- Tropical Eastern Pacific (TEP) non-endemic
- Climate Zone
- Equatorial (Costa Rica to Ecuador + Galapagos, Clipperton, Cocos, Malpelo)
- Northern Tropical (Mexican Province to Nicaragua + Revillagigedos)
- South Temperate (Peruvian Province )
- Northern Subtropical (Cortez Province + Sinaloan Gap)
- IUCN Red List
- Least concern
- Not listed
- Depth Range Max
- Depth Range Min
- Length Max