Species: Luvarus imperialis, the Louvar
Luvarus imperialis Rafinesque, 1810
Body elongate, oval, compressed, tapering to slender tail base; head deep, compressed, forehead profile convex; eyes low, behind small horizontal mouth; 1 continuous dorsal fin, long, low, origin at ~ mid-body; anal fin similar to and under dorsal fin; dorsal and anal fins of adults without spines (dorsal with II spines in juvenile); pelvic fins tiny; pectoral fin long, pointed; tail fin large, semicircular, with 1 large and 2 small keels on tail base; skin rough, covered with tiny spines; juvenile with dorsal and anal fins higher and with longer bases, pelvic fins very long in very small fish.
Metallic blue to pinkish grey above, sides and belly silvery with pink reflections, indistinct dark spots on upper 2/3 body; anal and tail red, pectorals red to yellowish; dorsal red at front, black at rear; juveniles with dense large dark spots on body and dorsal and anal fins.
Size: 200 cm.
Habitat: Oceanic; surface to midwater.
Depth: 0-500 m.
Circumglobal, tropical to temperate; throughout our region except the Gulf of California.
High Resolution Map Download
- Marine Only
- Offshore Only
- Water Column Position
- Near Surface
- Water column only
- Mid Water
- Water column
- FishBase Habitat
- Feeding Group
- No Data
- Pelagic jellyfish/ctenophores
- Egg Type
- Pelagic larva
- No data
- Global Endemism
- All species
- "Transpacific" (East + Central &/or West Pacific)
- East Pacific + Atlantic (East +/or West)
- East Pacific + all Atlantic (East+West)
- TEP non-endemic
- All Pacific (West + Central + East)
- Circumtropical ( Indian + Pacific + Atlantic Oceans)
- Regional Endemism
- All species
- Tropical Eastern Pacific (TEP) non-endemic
- Island (s)
- Eastern Pacific non-endemic
- Continent + Island (s)
- Climate Zone
- Northern Subtropical (Cortez Province + Sinaloan Gap)
- Equatorial (Costa Rica to Ecuador + Galapagos, Clipperton, Cocos, Malpelo)
- Northern Tropical (Mexican Province to Nicaragua + Revillagigedos)
- South Temperate (Peruvian Province )
- North Temperate (Californian Province &/or Northern Gulf of California)
- IUCN Red List
- Not evaluated / Listed
- Not listed
- Length Max
- Depth Range Min
- Depth Range Max