Species: Halichoeres chierchiae, Wounded wrasse
Halichoeres chierchiae Di Caporiacco, 1947
Moderately elongate, compressed; enlarged canine teeth at front of both jaws (1 pair above, 2 pairs below), a canine at rear of top jaws; dorsal fin IX, 11; anal rays III, 12; pectoral rays 13; lateral line unbroken, but abruptly bent down under rear of dorsal fin, its tubes branched, except those on tail base; lateral line with 26-27 pored scales.
IP: with greenish-brown midlateral stripe intersecting with dark bars and blotches on upper half of body, lower portion of head and body pale yellow green; TP: mainly bluish on upper half with green blotches, yellow on lower half; a black blotch above tip of pectoral fins, a similar-sized patch of bright red immediately behind this; fins reddish; juvenile color pattern is similar to that of H. nicholsi, except it is darker, and the ocellus on the dorsal fin is smaller and less well defined.
Size: attains at least 20 cm.
Habitat: common on shallow rocky reefs with occasional sand-rubble patches.
Depth: 1-70 m.
Southern Baja and the Gulf of California to northern Peru, and the Revillagigedos and the Galapagos.
High Resolution Map Download
- Marine Only
- Inshore Only
- Water Column Position
- Bottom only
- Reef associated (reef + edges-water column & soft bottom)
- Reef (rock/coral/oyster)
- Reef only
- FishBase Habitat
- Reef Associated
- Feeding Group
- Mobile benthic gastropods/bivalves
- Mobile benthic crustacea (shrimps/crabs)
- Egg Type
- Pelagic larva
- Global Endemism
- All species
- East Pacific endemic
- Tropical Eastern Pacific (TEP) endemic
- Regional Endemism
- All species
- Island (s)
- Continent + Island (s)
- TEP endemic
- Climate Zone
- Northern Subtropical (Cortez Province + Sinaloan Gap)
- Equatorial (Costa Rica to Ecuador + Galapagos, Clipperton, Cocos, Malpelo)
- Northern Tropical (Mexican Province to Nicaragua + Revillagigedos)
- South Temperate (Peruvian Province )
- North Temperate (Californian Province &/or Northern Gulf of California)
- IUCN Red List
- Least concern
- Not listed
- Length Max
- Depth Range Min
- Depth Range Max