Species: Calamus brachysomus, Pacific porgy
Calamus brachysomus (Lockington, 1880)
Body deep, compressed; head deep, upper profile steep; cheek below eye deep; rear nostril slit-like; large mouth with thick lips, heavy lower jaw; bone under front of eye overlaps rear bone of top jaw; jaw teeth in 2 rows, conical and slender canines at front, molar like at rear; preopercle border smooth; dorsal fin low, XIII,12 (XII-XIII,11-13 ), 3rd or 4th spine longest; anal fin short, III short spines, 10-11 soft rays; pectoral 13-16 (usually 15),long, reaching past origin of anal fin; tail fin forked; cheeks and opercles scaly, but no scales on snout or between the eye and mouth; lateral-line scales 45-52.
Silvery, lips and chin white; edge of operculum not dark; axil of pectoral fin blackish .
Size: to 61 cm.
Habitat: usually seen on flat sandy bottoms in clear water.
Depth: 3-80 m.
Baja California to the Gulf of California to Peru, and the Revillagigedos, Galapagos and Malpelo.
High Resolution Map Download
- Inshore Only
- Water Column Position
- Bottom only
- Soft bottom (mud/sand/gravel/beach/estuary/mangrove/seagrass)
- Reef associated (reef + edges-water column & soft bottom)
- Soft bottom only
- Sand & gravel
- FishBase Habitat
- Reef Associated
- Feeding Group
- Mobile benthic gastropods/bivalves
- Mobile benthic crustacea (shrimps/crabs)
- Egg Type
- Pelagic larva
- No data
- Global Endemism
- Tropical Eastern Pacific (TEP) endemic
- All species
- East Pacific endemic
- Regional Endemism
- All species
- Continent + Island (s)
- TEP endemic
- Island (s)
- Climate Zone
- Northern Subtropical (Cortez Province + Sinaloan Gap)
- Equatorial (Costa Rica to Ecuador + Galapagos, Clipperton, Cocos, Malpelo)
- Northern Tropical (Mexican Province to Nicaragua + Revillagigedos)
- South Temperate (Peruvian Province )
- North Temperate (Californian Province &/or Northern Gulf of California)
- IUCN Red List
- Least concern
- Not listed
- Length Max
- Depth Range Min
- Depth Range Max