Species: Hyporthodus acanthistius, Gulf coney, Rooster hind, Rose coney
Hyporthodus acanthistius (Gilbert, 1892)
Gulf coney, Rose coney, Rooster hind
Body robust, relatively deep and oval, compressed, deepest at origin of dorsal fin; gill rakers 25-27; dorsal rays IX, 17; membranes of dorsal spines deeply notched, larger specimens with elevated dorsal spines II-IV; anal rays III, 9; pectorals 18-19; flank scales rough; 61-64 scales on lateral line.
Adult: brown to rosy red; fins grading to dark brownish; a thin black moustache above side of top jaw; Juvenile dark brown, with irregular blue spots on body, which form vertical lines at the rear of the body; several blue lines running from eye back and down across operculum; black moustache above top jaw.
Maximum size, to at least 130 cm.
Inhabits rocky reefs and nearby sand patches.
Usually below 12 m and ranging to at least 111 m; juveniles can be in shallow water.
Southern California through the Gulf of California to Peru.
Note: Previously in the genus Epinephelus.
High Resolution Map Download
- Marine Only
- Inshore Only
- Water Column Position
- Bottom only
- Soft bottom (mud/sand/gravel/beach/estuary/mangrove/seagrass)
- Reef associated (reef + edges-water column & soft bottom)
- Sand & gravel
- Reef and soft bottom
- Reef (rock/coral/oyster)
- FishBase Habitat
- Feeding Group
- Bony fishes
- Mobile benthic crustacea (shrimps/crabs)
- Egg Type
- No data
- Pelagic larva
- Global Endemism
- Tropical Eastern Pacific (TEP) endemic
- All species
- East Pacific endemic
- Regional Endemism
- All species
- 3 provinces (Cortez + Mexican + Panamic) endemic
- Continent only
- TEP endemic
- Continental TEP endemic
- Climate Zone
- North Temperate (Californian Province &/or Northern Gulf of California)
- South Temperate (Peruvian Province )
- Northern Subtropical (Cortez Province + Sinaloan Gap)
- Equatorial (Costa Rica to Ecuador + Galapagos, Clipperton, Cocos, Malpelo)
- Northern Tropical (Mexican Province to Nicaragua + Revillagigedos)
- IUCN Red List
- Least concern
- Not listed
- Length Max
- Depth Range Min
- Depth Range Max